Monday, April 21, 2008

108 Slackline Salutations for Peace


On April 19th, the day of the Equinox, nearly 100 yogis arose early to meet at Himmel Park in Tucson, AZ. Their mission - to complete 108 sun salutations for world peace. The event was organized by local Ashtangi extraordinaire, Lisa Schremp.  I (Jason) was asked to attend and do 108 Slack-line salutations.  And so I did.  
All in all, it took about 90 minutes to complete. and I was able to stay on the line without falling for the firs 36 salutations (about 20+ minutes).  My salutations began simply, just walking forward and backward, then progressing to sitting, doing poses seated, standing, kneeling and a few side planks (vasistasana)  for good measure.  It has been a long time since I felt so relaxed and focused on the line.  Perhaps it was the energy from all the beautiful yogis practicing next to me.  
In the end I'd done nearly 108 asana's (54 on each side - although some were not distinct asana but variations), 108 breaths in lotus (padmasana), 108 breaths standing in stillness, 108 breaths on my knees in the "robot prayer" variations, 108 breaths in savasana.   I also spent a bit of time in inversions on the line (the dutchie special).  In all I only fell off the line 6 times.
During the middle of my session, I attempted to drink a mug of steaming chai on the line (while still doing some asana) but only made it halfway through before I was flung from the line and covered in hot tea!
The atmosphere was amazing and it was incredible to look out and see 80+ yogis practicing in unison.  Very inspiring.  Over the last 3 years, the event has raised over $30,000 for displaced Iraqi children.

A few hours later, I taught an AcroYoga/Slackline Yoga workshop, and we all ended up staying the park afterwards till dark.  I was certainly sore the next day!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Jason -
    Do you read your e-mail or WHAT? :)
    You should come visit on your way to or from Virginia. South Carolina is kind of close!
    -Em

    ReplyDelete