Friday, March 5, 2010

Slacking in Frey - Chelsey always ends up teaching...

I must say, that Chelsey has impacted my life in so many ways. A week ago, as we were climbing in Frey, I realized yet another way in which my new fiancee has improved my life.

Chelsey loves to teach people how to slackline. Oh - and she is very good at it. Gentle, encouraging, skilled at pointing out things they can do to improve. Now don't get me wrong, I love teaching it too, but maybe it is the fact that I've done so much of it that having someone else do it instead is like a breath of fresh air.

It is one of the reasons I love traveling with Sam so much too. I am quite comfortable as the assumed "front man" of the YogaSlackers band, but Sam (and now Chelsey) seem to thrive on the one on one interactions.

The line that was set up in Frey was old school nylon, really bouncy, and set up over a a rocky somewhat treacherous landing - especially for barefoot slackers. I was hesitant to start teaching anyone from the small crowd of trekkers and climbers who were watching us play. They all had that look in their eyes - eagerness, wonder, curious self assessment. As Chels, Dan and I played and performed, we could almost hear their thoughts.

"I wonder if I could do that?"

"It looks so easy, I want to try?"

"When are those Americans gonna get off and let someone else try?"

My thoughts responded with caution - thinking that this was a less than ideal place to learn just about anything on the slackline. Chelsey obviously disagreed.

Here is a brief (and rough video) of a bit of the hour that followed.

Thanks to Chels, Sam, Dan, Paul, the other Dan, and all the others whose enthusiasm and skill make the YogaSlackers always look good.



1 comment:

  1. The image of yoga has changed during the past years. If once, the

    first picture that popped your mind was of a group of white wearing weirdoes standing on their heads and breathing loudly,

    now you are probably thinking about Madonna's well shaped arms. Currently, yoga is one of the most popular fitness activities

    worldwide. One of its appeal is that it can be practiced by elders and it can improve the overall physical fitness of

    athletes.

    If you want to start practicing yoga, here is a quick guide to the basic types of yoga. While most of them are based on the

    same ancient postures, each yoga style has a different focus. Some of the yoga styles focus on strengthening the body while

    others focus on flexibility. Other types of yoga focus mainly on breathing, relaxation, and meditation.

    ReplyDelete